The Western Isles – also known as the Outer Hebrides – are today’s destination in my A-Z, which I have nearly finished.
I spent a week driving the length of the islands last August and had everything from heavy rain to bright Sunshine.
Barra and Vatersay were my starting point and over the course of the week I drove up through the Uists, before ending the week in Stornoway on the Isle of Lewis.
Some highlights from my visit to the Outer Hebrides:
- Watching the cattle wandering along the beach!
- Visiting Barra Airport where the planes land on the beach.
- Kisimul Castle is worth a visit.
- Stopnear Loch Skipport and see the friendly wild ponies!
- Excellent beaches on Berneray.
- Great Bernera is a fantastic little island – I really enjoyed Traigh Bhostadh (Bosta Beach).
- Stornoway is the only place in the Western Isles which resembles a town.
If they were closer I’d go to the Western Isles more often!